Monday, April 12, 2010

Week 33 - Day One: Still Out of Commission

Oh, the hypocrisy!!

I am neither HEALTHY nor BIKING right now, so how dare I refer to myself as the Healthy Biker? Really, the travesty . . .

Over the weekend my fever peaked on Saturday at 102F. It broke overnight between Saturday and Sunday - I know this because of the several times I woke up drenched in sweat. Good times. By Sunday, my throat was still sore but the fever was gone, and I was presented with a deluge of nose-runnings. I laid low and took it easy, mostly allowing my brain to rot as I watched Celebrity Apprentice online (don't judge me, I was sick and couldn't handle any sort of mental stimulation!).

When I woke up this morning, I found that my throat was still pretty sore and my whole head felt kind of foggy and blocked up, but the fever hadn't returned and I wasn't coughing or sneezing. So I went to work. I drove because I couldn't imagine panting in this cold, dry air when my throat still hurts so much, and I cringed as I paid $14 for parking (the prices went up April 1st). My co-workers shunned me, some looking at me with sympathy and others with horror. One colleague looked at me and gasped, saying, "You look like SHIT!" Almost everyone told me to go home. But I just can't - I need these damn hours.

So I put on makeup to hide the "gray circles of death" that ring my eyes, rescheduled my individual clients so I can do as little talking as possible today, and asked my colleague to take the lead during a meeting with another student service we have scheduled today. Sure, it's not nearly as restful as staying at home for another day of recovery, but what can I do? As a single mom, full-time student, and resident grunt at work, there is no such thing as sick days. The only rest I can afford to give myself is to lay off biking until I'm better.

And that, my friends, really sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.