Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week 33 - Day Two: Back To It

BIKE: Eastwood (coming out of retirement, it seems!)
TIME THERE: 26 min.
TIME BACK: 28 min.
WEATHER: overcast, 2C (-1C with windchill), 11 km/hr wind there; overcast, 4C, 11 km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, waterproof shell, mini gloves, scarf (scarf and gloves in panniers on the way home, which was a mistake because it was coooold)
NOTES:

Hello, Eastwood, my old friend. You've been cooped up in my living room all winter, attached to my bike trainer, once in a while being ridden but - let's be honest, here - very rarely. And now, today, my first day back to bike-commuting after a pretty brutal illness, I can't think of a better guy to bring me back gently than you, my dear Eastwood (that's right, Mike the Bike, I said EASTWOOD! Deal with it!).

Eastwood is a much gentler, smoother ride than I'm used to with Mike, what with his shock absorbers and softer, wider tires, and that was pleasant. It helped me feel slightly less hard done by as I bike-commuted with a heavy sickness lingering in my lungs and sinus cavities. My travels went something like:

pedal -- pedal -- pedal -- haaaaack -- pedal -- pedal -- haaaaaack (wipe nose on back of glove, hope nobody witnesses) -- pedal -- pedal -- pedal -- (etc.)

Biking right now is not pleasant. In fact, it's vaguely dreaded. My throat hurts. My lungs hurt. My head is in a fog of sinus pressure and infected mucous. And by the time I left work at the end of the day, I was so exhausted I wondered how I'd even get home. I managed . . . but just barely. But you know what's even less pleasant than biking while sick? Paying $14 a day for parking.

Bike: 1. Car: 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.