Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Week 36 - Day Two: Spring Storm Day 1

I woke up this morning to the sound of my cell phone signaling the arrival of a text message. I groggily checked the message: "You should drive in today. It's nasty out there."

Willing myself out of bed, I stumbled towards the window to find a strong wind bending the trees and what looked like a dusting of wet snow on the ground, with more falling from the sky. "Okay, no biking then!" I thought to myself with relief, glad to know I'd be traveling in my warm car instead of facing down another windy ride. "Besides," I figured, "it'll probably be gone by the afternoon." After all, The Weather Network had called for a measly less than 1 cm of snow today, surely nothing that would linger on the ground for any length of time.

Oh, the naivety! By mid-morning, enough snow had accumulated to make it look like the dead of winter outside:

Posted by "trevor" on The Weather Network at http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/620/2463205/5/caab0103

By mid-afternoon, The Weather Network had issued a "Snowfall Warning" for the City of Edmonton and some communities to the west, noting that the combination of snow and high winds could produce zero visibility in some areas. So, it definitely worked out in my favour that I didn't bike today. Still, I'm going to have to drive home in this mess and that will take me a while. Also, now that I've retired my snow studs for the season, it might be at least another day or two before the snow melts away and I'm able to bike again. It'll be interesting to see how long the biking hiatus lasts because of this (apparently typical) spring storm.

Yes, it sucks that I'm having to pay $14 a day in parking through all this, but it sure beats skidding across the asphalt and under someone's tires. So - no biking it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.