Thursday, May 6, 2010

Week 36 - Day Four: Back To It

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 24 min.
TIME BACK: 26 min.
WEATHER: overcast, 0C (-4C with windchill), 13 km/hr crosswinds there; cloudy, 4C, 7km/hr crosswinds back
WHAT I WORE: warm-up pants, t-shirt, fleece jacket, running gloves
NOTES:

The planning started last night: as long as no more snow fell overnight, I would bike today. I bravely ventured into my murder basement (that's what I call the dungeon-like dirt floored pit of death beneath my house) to get my fleece jacket out of storage. I checked the tire pressure and brakes on my bike to ensure that everything would be in working order. I packed my panniers and laid out my cycling clothes for the morning. By the time I went to bed last night, I was set: there was no way I was not biking today!

As expected, I did hit a couple patches of ice that remained unmelted since Spring Storm 2010 blew into town on Tuesday. Mostly these patches were found on the two very high bridges I have to bike over on my way to the university. I have to say, crunchy-slushy-slippery ice patches and very tall bridges make me a nervous rider now that I don't have my trusty studs to rely on. I was very cautious about keeping well balanced right in the centre of my bike and trying not to slow down, speed up, or turn while going over the ice. Luckily, I managed not to fall - woo hoo! Advantage: Johnson.

After not biking for three days this week, the two-day weekend, and last Friday, I was feeling a little bit rusty today. I still made decent time, but I suspect it's because there was a major light that I normally get caught at that I managed to get to while it was still green, so I feel like I can do better. I have to remind myself that this ain't no Sunday stroll, mofo - this is a bike-commute! I need to get my ass to work on time! And if I'm not breaking a sweat, working those thighs and breathing heavy, then I'm not doing what I should. Keep it up, Johnson! Keep it going full-steam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.