Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Week 36 - Day Three: Spring Storm Day 2

After Spring Storm 2010 yesterday, I wasn't convinced it was safe enough to bike with my studless tires due to the slowly melting snow leaving patches of ice on the roads and sidewalks, so I drove again. Geez, three days in a row of driving. How lazy!

Around campus, I saw numerous people riding bikes. Not as many as usual, mind you, but still enough to make me second guess my decision to keep my bike at home. The moment I'd feel guilty about driving, though, I would look over at the sidewalks and notice the accumulation of ice and snow there, and I'd scan the curbs of the road to find ice and puddles and puddle-covered ice, and I would be assured that I'd made the right decision.

It also helped that today was my daughter's SECOND BIRTHDAY!!! It was helpful because by driving I had the time to let her sleep in, then make her a nice birthday breakfast without being too late for work. I was also able to transport the two-dozen cupcakes that I had bought to her daycare so she could have a little party there - something that would be pretty difficult to do by bike. I dropped her off late at daycare and picked her up early, and that seemed just right for her birthday. God, I can't believe it's been two years already. Two years ago I went from being a single person to having a family overnight. Two years ago my life changed irrevocably. Two years ago, the most perfect human being in the history of the world was born. And ever since, I have been so lucky to be her mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.