Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Week 45 - Day Three: Car vs. Bike Trailer - No Choice

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 26 min. (from daycare)
TIME BACK: 25 min. (to home, not daycare)
WEATHER: partly cloudy, 16C, 9 km/hr tail/crosswinds there; raining, 17C, 33 km/hr headwinds back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga capris, t-shirt, zip-up hoodie (zip-up hoodie was traded in for a waterproof shell on the way home because it was raining haaaaard!)
NOTES:

How appropriate, given the blog I had just posted. When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed something was missing from my panniers: the car key. Hmm. Problematic. I emptied all the contents from the panniers to search for the key, and when I couldn't find it there or in any of my clothes' pockets I searched around my front lawn and the sidewalk outside my house. The frustration mounted as I spent 5 minutes, ten minutes, fifteen minutes searching frantically for my key to no avail. What the hell?

It occurred to me that the key might have fallen out of my pannier pocket when I threw my panniers under my desk at work, as I do every day when I first arrive there. I hoped it would be there, sitting idly under my work desk when I came back to work this morning. In the meantime, without a spare key (the spare was stolen during a home burglary a couple years ago and I never bothered replacing it), I was stuck without access to my car. That means I was stuck using the bike and trailer to transport my daughter to daycare. The same bike and trailer she refused to use yesterday to get to daycare.

On some level, I saw this as a good thing: maybe my daughter didn't care for the trailer because she's simply out of practice with using it. Maybe she doesn't remember how much fun it can be to play with all the straps and buckles inside and to go over bouncy bumps in the road. When I wrestled her into the trailer this morning, she quickly dropped the fight in favour of playing with a neat little buckle she found. Well, that was easy. She then proceeded to be a cooperative and even giddy little passenger the whole way to daycare:

"Hi, mamma!" she would call out from behind me.
"Hi, Sophia!" I would respond over my shoulder.
"Whoooooa, big bump!" she would exclaim joyfully as we hit a pothole. If only that pothole had been as fun for me . . .

When I got to work this morning I found the car key sitting under my desk, exactly where I hoped it might be. And now, my daughter and I are both back in the habit of using the bike trailer. Hopefully this lost key incident has kick-started a positive trend: less driving, more biking, even when I have to transport my daughter and/or other precious cargo. Oh, how the world works in mysterious ways! It all works out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.