Monday, June 21, 2010

Week 43 - Day One: Walkin' Fool

Last Thursday I managed to murder Eastwood. Since then, I've been faced with a conundrum: do I work over my lunch hours to make up for the extra time it would take me to walk, or do I spend $14 a day in parking and drive? Also, it begs the question: when the Hell are you going to get your damn bike(s) fixed??

I ended up walking last Friday and today, opting to work over my lunch hours (which is, admittedly, stressful and not the best idea given the high rate of burn-out in my profession). It's been lovely because the weather has been gorgeous, so it's given me the opportunity to get some fresh air and sun and really take in the river valley as I book-end my days with a lovely de-stressor. However, I don't see this being entirely sustainable - especially the working over lunch bit - so I need to get at least one bike fixed, and soon.

Mike's broken spoke will likely be much cheaper to fix than Eastwood's broken cassette, so I'll concentrate on that. I took the back wheel off last night and put it in the car so I'm reminded that right after I pick up my daughter from daycare I need to swing by the bike shop and get it fixed. Hopefully by tomorrow I can go back to biking. As much as I like walking, I'm starting to miss the speed and exhilaration I get from biking. I'm also afraid that the more time I spend away from biking, the weaker my thighs will get, consequently making it more difficult to return to the saddle when I finally do.

So - back to biking tomorrow? That's the intention. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy every bouncy step of my walking today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.