Tuesday, March 2, 2010

MONTHLY CHECK-IN

WEIGHT LOSS THIS MONTH: 5 lbs.
WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE: 41.5 lbs
DAYS COMMUTED: 17
POTENTIAL COMMUTING DAYS MISSED: 2
BREAKDOWN OF EXCUSES USED BY COMMUTE DAYS MISSED:
Slept In/Too Much Snow on the Ground: 1
Knee Discomfort/Low Motivation: 1

Really, Body?? Five pounds? I've been biking pretty consistently, I added 2.5 km of walking to my daily routine by walking my daughter to daycare, and I've been watching what I've been eating, using Daily Burn to track my eating habits and workouts religiously - even on weekends! And still, I only lost 5 lbs. this month? I was hoping for 10 or 11, or at least 8, a solid 2-lbs-per-week loss would work for me. But 5 lbs? SIGH!

I was complaining about this to my Mom earlier, wondering aloud if all this effort is even worth it, and she repeated to me her weight-loss mantra: The time is going to pass anyway, you may as well be losing weight. This phrase is an apt reminder that even at 5 lbs a month, I'm still better off than I would be if I wasn't putting in this effort and staying the same weight forever (or, perhaps more truthfully, continuing to gain weight as I was pretty consistently for the six years leading up to the start of my bike-commuting challenge). So, 5 lbs in February - a disappointment, I must admit, but it's certainly better than nothing. And after a crazy 12-lb weight-loss month like January was, perhaps my body needed to cool its weight-loss jets for a spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.