Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week Twenty-Seven - Day Three: Make My Day!

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 26 min.
TIME BACK: 25 min. (woot woot!)
WEATHER: overcast, -6C, 6 km/hr wind there; clear, 6C, 4 km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: warm-up pants, t-shirt, fleece jacket, running gloves, balaclava (folded up so it's basically like a toque)
NOTES:

I'm not sure who it was, but someone absolutely made my day today!

I was a bit of a cranky-pants this morning. I stayed home with my sick toddler on Monday and Tuesday, which is never either fun or fitness-promoting, so when I awoke this morning I was feeling unfit and in desperate need of a good bike-commute. At the same time, I was so exhausted from the intensity of caring for my sick daughter over the past couple days and having had a terrible night of sleep because of her frequent waking, that when I awoke this morning I dreaded my commute. I was almost hoping that my daughter's fever had come back so I wouldn't have to drag my exhausted body through the motions of my usual commuting routine.

Luckily, my daughter was fine, and I had to force myself back into my daily routine. I walked her to daycare in the stroller, walked home, and mounted my bike for the first time since last Thursday (wow, it's been almost a week!). It felt soooo gooooood to be back! The streets are clearer than they were the last time I rode, as the winter ice is slowly melting away - even the side streets and sidewalks are becoming passable again. It felt good to use my legs, fill my lungs with fresh morning air, and feel the crisp air on my cheeks.

But what felt the best of all was when I was riding down 124 Street towards the bend in the road where it turns into Jasper Avenue, when a red car pulled up beside me and a woman yelled out, "GO LAUREN!!" I looked over at her just in time to catch that she was a brunette, but I didn't see her face. Who are you, Mysterious Woman, and why are you cheering me on? I laughed out loud as soon as I heard it, responded with something idiotic like, "Yay, me!", and proceeded to wear a ridiculous grin on my face for the next couple blocks.

Now THAT'S the kind of people-yelling-at-me-from-their-cars that I can really get behind! I think I need more of that in my day. Thank you for the encouragement, Mysterious Woman! I needed it - especially today - and it couldn't have been more appreciated.

Now on that note, as I can hardly keep my eyes open, I'm going to have my shower and go to bed EARLY! I'm just hoping my daughter will let me sleep tonight . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.