Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Week Twenty-Three - Day Two: Better

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 33 min.
TIME BACK: 33 min.
WEATHER: snow, -9C, 4 km/hr wind there; overcast, -8C, 7 km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: warm-up pants, turtleneck, fleece mid-layer jacket, lobster gloves, balaclava
NOTES:

Really, Johnson? Really? You didn't bike yesterday because of how much snow was on the streets, then did bike today, while it was snowing? Really, kiddo, what were you thinking??

It was just one of those days where for more than half the ride - even along the busy roads that are the first to be cleared by snow plows and get additional clearing from the heavy traffic - I cringed as I went over moussy loose brown snow and hoped it wouldn't throw me into the path of a car speeding past. Luckily, I never did fall today, nor did I ever really feel like I was in danger of it. There wasn't much fishtailing or getting tossed around by shifting snow beneath my tires. Still, it was a white-knuckle-grip kind of ride this morning while it snowed. At least it was a bit more clear on the way home . . . barely.

I felt good today. It felt great to be back on the bike after four days without it. It felt good to wear one of my new shirts, something that fits so much better than the pre-biking-weight-loss outfits I've had to wear this whole time. It felt good to be surprised every time I caught my reflection in the mirror because I look so much better than I remember myself looking. My face is slimmer. I look brighter, healthier, happier, just generally better. I'm in a better mood. Even when there's snow on the ground, even when the ride feels a little dangerous, even when I'm swearing in my head at the cars that pass too close to me and the drivers who glare at me for taking up half a lane to myself - everything is just better! Who could possibly ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.