Friday, February 5, 2010

Week Twenty-Three - Day Five: The Little Things

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 32 min.
TIME BACK: 27 min. (leaving from a building a couple blocks farther along my route than usual)
WEATHER: light snow, -14C (-22C with wind chill), 15 km/hr wind there; clear, -10C (-16C with wind chill), 11 km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: fleece pants, turtleneck, fleece jacket, lobster gloves, balaclava
NOTES:

Fat fluffy snowflakes cascading off my eyelashes and down my cheeks, dusting the front of my black fleece cycling gear in a pillowy white layer from neck to ankles. It's harder to see as I cringe into the blowing snow and blink away the frozen precipitation - I really should have worn my goggles - yet somehow it still feels magical.

Working lunch today. I eat the snacks I brought, but not the actual meal, there's just not enough time. I don't even feel hungry. But then I start biking home, and I just feel worn out. Not even tired, really, but like I'm running on empty. No surprise there. But the good news: I'm not getting yelled at by passing motorists! Not even once!

Go out for dinner with my daughter. It's really nice for the first 15 minutes, and then she gets bored. Let the gong show begin! This is why parents, especially single parents, rarely eat out.

At home. Daughter's in her crib upstairs, listening to her musical aquarium toy. My belly is full of delicious vegetarian curry and coconut rice. I am so full and content I just want to fall asleep at the keyboard right now. Mmm. Right now, life is good.

They're just the little things, but taken together, they're everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.