Monday, February 1, 2010

Week Twenty-Three - Day One: The Drive

I didn't bike today. FOR SHAME!!

You may be asking why I didn't bike today as you cluck your tongue at me in disapproval. After all, it was a fairly mild day today with a high of -8C and very little wind. However, it did snow all day yesterday to the tune of 10 cm or so of fresh powder. Right up until the last moment this morning I was debating furiously in my head if I should risk riding on potentially snowy, sloppy, slippery streets. Either that, or I could wait a day and see if the car traffic and snow plows make it a safer ride for me to head back out on Tuesday.

The question of whether or not to ride was further complicated by the fact that I forgot to set my alarm, so I woke up a half-hour later than usual. At this point, I was tortured by the decision-making process - I was sure I could bike, and I did want to, but I would have to ride very cautiously (read: slooooow), and I simply wouldn't have the time to do that today. So should I try to rush it along the snowy/slushy/slippery streets, or should I just drive and hope the streets will be clearer by tomorrow?

I ended up driving. I felt some pangs of regret as I saw other cyclists out braving the slippery streets and sidewalks. Then other times, as my car was tossed to and fro by the mousse-like ruts, I was grateful not to be going over those roads on my little bike. I'll just have to get back in the saddle tomorrow. After four days without biking, I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.