Friday, October 30, 2009

Wimped Out - Take Two

My dear compatriots, I have failed you yet again! Following yesterday's failure to bike to work, I once again did not bike to work today. I decided last night that I should take it easy and let my throat get better before I start heaving cold, dry air through it again.

I still have that barking, earth-shaking cough, and my throat is still sore, but it seems the sinus pressure is finally lifting and I do generally feel better than I did yesterday. Perhaps that half-day off yesterday actually did something for me! Today, I got the impression that if I'd been able to sleep in for an extra couple of hours this morning, I would have been able to really kick this cold that has been dogging me. Instead, I got my usual 8 hours' sleep and consequently felt tired and sick (though better!) all day.

To my credit, I wasn't the only one. Just about everyone at work was exhausted and/or sick-looking today. One of my co-workers, who is a disgustingly fit man of nearly 50 who participates in triathlons and routinely goes for 8km runs over the lunch hour, even decided to take it easy and forgo his run today. That made me feel better about not biking.

Then again, I saw some cyclists out there on campus, with their flashing safety lights and their heavy-treaded tires and their tight pants. I felt the familiar pang of jealousy to see them as I guiltily drove past and begrudgingly paid $12 for parking. How I longed to feel well enough to be like them! Except for the pants . I'll stick with non-camel-toe-inducing pants for the time being.

At least I can look forward to studding Mike up. That's right. My 700c studded tires finally arrived, so I'm going to pick them up from MEC this weekend! Seeing as how I'm useless when it comes to bike maintenance, I'll probably pay someone to put them on. Then, boo-yeah, I'm going to have a tall, slender, sleek machine with studded tires to get me to work in safety and in good time! I can't wait to try them out!

1 comment:

  1. That was a hilarious link to the biker pants!

    hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.