Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wimped Out

I've been thinking about a couple things:
(a) I've been either full-on sick or just under the weather for weeks straight now;
(b) my weekends, the time most people use to rest and practice self-care, are usually just as busy and demanding on me as any given workday (and are sometimes even more so) due to being a single parent to an almost-toddler, so my efforts to rest up and get over my cold on the weekends never really work out so well;
(c) it may just be that I need to reconsider just how committed I am to biking, considering it extends into "if I'm well enough to work, I'm well enough to bike there" territory, which I suspect has led to prolonged illness.

So, today, feeling just as sick as I did yesterday, I decided to stay home for the morning. I called in and got the receptionist to reschedule my morning clients, hoping that an extra couple of hours in bed might make the difference between losing or winning the battle against this cold. I decided not to take a full day because: (a) I need the hours; (b) I get bored too easily when staying alone at home; (c) my daughter was in daycare for the day and as much as that was necessary for me to truly rest, I felt guilty about having her there while I did nothing at home; and, (d), I figured I could handle the afternoon, as I didn't have any clients - just an hour of intake and then a two-hour team meeting. I could handle that.

I didn't bike, though - I drove. And my perpetually sore throat, which gets exponentially worse for every minute that doesn't see food or fluids passing through it, made me eat more than necessary today. And not just more - I also mean worse. There's something about feeling tired that makes me crave sugar, and I got plenty of that this afternoon when I bought a package of sour gummi worms. It's the worst thing I've eaten in a few weeks, so it's not really that big a deal, but it's also not great.

Ugghhhh, between the cold, not biking, eating too much, and eating unhealthy food, I am utterly dreading the November weigh-in. Here's hoping the little biking I actually did this month will counteract all the non-biking and sick-feeling and crap-eating I've been up to!! :S

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.