Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week Four - Day Three

TIME THERE: 24 min.
TIME BACK: 25 min.
WEATHER: clear, 11C, 4km/hr wind there; clear, 33C, 15km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt (sweatshirt in panniers on the way home)
NOTES:
On the Weather: This extended summer has been good in some ways - much better than snow, that's for sure! It can be pretty uncomfortable to bike in, though. On the way home today, even the breeze generated as I cut through the air in my very un-aerodynamic way was so hot, it didn't feel remotely pleasant. Even my breezy cotton yoga pants felt stifling, and I was tempted to fold up the bottoms to make them into shorts. I figured that would just double up the material over my thighs, though, so I passed on that idea. Another major downside to this gorgeous weather: the sun exposure to the burn on my arm. Apparently this can cause scarring, and I'd like to avoid that given the size of the burn. So I'll have to cover it up as much as possible, it's just that every time I shower the band-aids or gauze or whatever I've tried on it always comes off! Alas . . .

On Sleep: I went to bed early last night and figured I must have been asleep by 9:30 pm. That was necessary considering how tired I was yesterday, and especially so because I was up before 6:00 am today (the alarm goes off at 6:30, but my daughter goes off whenever she pleases). I was tired throughout the day today, especially by our 3:00-4:00 staff meeting, but it was nothing like yesterday. I'm glad for that! I just hope I can find a way to get more sleep throughout the work week (and, come to think of it, over the weekend too, since babies know no difference).

On Nausea: I had been feeling nauseous for the past few days every time I rode to school in the morning. One of my co-workers figured I might be pregnant again, but as I told him, "That's not possible, my friend, I live by the age-old wisdom: knock me up once, shame on you - knock me up twice, shame on me." I wondered if it was because I wasn't eating enough before the ride, saving the bulk of my breakfast for when I got to work. However, it turns out the onset of the nausea coincided suspiciously with my starting to take Benefibre with my chicory drink before bed. Last night I had my chicory drink sans Benefibre, et voila - no nausea on the way to school today! Good to know - Benefibre, not so beneficial.

On the Early Degeneration of my Body: Also, around the same time period, my right knee started feeling sore. This is a problem because I have a history of terrible joints, in particular my knees. So when my right knee started acting up again (the last time effectively crippled me and I was in physiotherapy for months), I feared that my biking days might be limited. However, the last couple of days I've tried going back to biking in 14th gear instead of 15th, and that seems to have made a significant difference. No knee pain. Perhaps I just need to accept that I can't push myself quite as hard as the competitor in me might want to.

Burn Update Photo:Hurts like a mo-fo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.