Monday, June 14, 2010

Week 42 - Day One: Saddle Switcharoo

BIKE: Eastwood
TIME THERE: 26 min.
TIME BACK: 55 min. (walking)
WEATHER: a few clouds, 12C, 24 km/hr cross/tailwinds there; a few clouds, 18C, 11 km/hr crosswinds back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, zip-up hoodie
NOTES:

Given the negative impact Eastwood's saddle has been having on my sensitive lady-bits, at the end of last week I decided I'd try switching saddles with Mike. So I broke out my wrench and pulled the ol' switch-a-roo. But there was a problem: Eastwood's seat post was thicker than Mike's, so hard as I might crank the damn wrench it just never seemed to get tight enough around that thinner post. I did my best, and the post didn't seem to be sliding even as I tested it by hefting all my weight onto the seat. So I gave it a shot - I tried biking to school with Mike's thinner, less heavily-padded seat.

The effect on my lady-bits was instantaneously appreciation - no more cutting into me in that horrible way that Eastwood's saddle tended to, leaving marks and saddle sores. The problem was that as the ride progressed, the seat slid down because the seat post was too damn skinny. About a third of the way into the journey the seat had fallen as far as it could and was resting on the frame below, leaving me with my legs crunched up and unable to extend. It was a terrible ride, one I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

I gave it one more shot - adjusting the seat once more before heading home. I tried to get it even tighter than before, and I was hopeful that maybe this time I might make it work. Alas. This was not to be. Once again, it didn't take long into the ride before I sunk down by a couple inches, making me work much harder to maintain my speed because I wasn't getting full power out of my legs without their full extension.

FINE! Back to the way it was. I switched the seats back, and now Eastwood is once again messing with my lady-bits. I think there might be a way to play switch-a-roo with just the seats, instead of the whole seat post, but quite frankly I'm tired and cranky and I want to get my lazy ass to bed.

So until I develop another unbearable saddle sore, I'm leaving damn well alone.

1 comment:

  1. You should be able to switch the saddles but not the posts, even if they have different ways of attaching the seat to the post. As long as each seat has two rails underneath (all but the cheapest, crappiest do), it can work. If you don't figure it out by friday, drop by ECOS with the saddles and I'll help you set it up!

    Coreen

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.