Friday, June 11, 2010

Week 41 - Day Five: The Only Pedestrian in the River Valley

BIKE: Eastwood
TIME THERE: 57 min. (walking)
TIME BACK: 24 min. (biking)
WEATHER: overcast, 10C, no wind there; a few clouds, 14C, 17 km/hr headwinds back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, zip-up hoodie
NOTES:

I saw an opportunity, and I took it.

After consuming a couple pints with some co-workers after work and getting a ride home yesterday, I found myself at home and tipsy without my bike. We left it on campus. I saw this as a golden opportunity: given how much I've been craving a good walk, I decided I would leave the car at home and walk to work this morning, and then bike home.

I didn't know how long it would take to walk. I knew it was about 6 km through the river valley, and I knew that when I used to walk 5 km to school it would take me 50 minutes, so I guesstimated it would take me an hour to get to work today. Knowing that there would be some significant hills in and out of the valley that would undoubtedly slow me down, I tried to keep my speed up on the flat parts to compensate. I did pretty well, considering: 57 minutes, door to door, averaging a speed of 3.7 mph.

A number of cyclists blew past me during my walk, but I didn't run into a single pedestrian soul the entire way. It made me lament what they're all missing: the ability to really take in the scenery, to not dread impending hills, to really feel the sun on their faces. Ahhh! It was lovely, and I appreciated every little pounding step I took.

For the first time in a long time, my commute to work actually felt like an accomplishment. I missed that! Perhaps I'll find ways to sneak these walks into my daily commuting routine, like making a habit out of walking one way and biking the other. I burn more calories, I'd spend 50% more time exercising every day, and it would be a good compromise between taking my preferred mode of transportation (my own stubby legs) and not spending too much of my day commuting.

Oh, the possibilities!!

1 comment:

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.