Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Week 41 - Day Two: I Miss Walking :(

BIKE: Eastwood
TIME THERE: 23 min.
TIME BACK: 27 min. (really???)
WEATHER: overcast, 8C 19 km/hr crosswinds there; overcast, 13C, 7 km/hr crosswinds back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt
NOTES:

The saddle sores are acting up again. I'm feeling muscle-tired and sore. I terribly miss walking, and I fantasize about leaving the bike at home one of these days and taking up walk-commuting. Of course, I can't quite do that because it would take at least a solid hour of walking each way, and my daughter's daycare isn't open long enough to allow me to do that and work a full day. So I'm stuck. I want to get out and enjoy a good walk the way I used to, especially on those beautiful sunny days when I really want to take in the scenery and the sunshine, but it seems I just can't these days. What a shame.

For the first couple years that I lived in Edmonton, I lived 5 km from the university and would walk either to and from school, or just from (I'd take the bus in the morning and then walk home in the evening). I loved this: I love the pace of walking, how I can take in the scenery while keeping a decent pace, how I can take a good long look at the things around me without fear of getting into a high-speed collision with anything, how I can listen to music instead of having to be keenly aware of traffic sounds at all times. I loved that when I walk-commuted - whether I was in Edmonton, or that summer I spent living and working in California - I was in really good shape and my body had a very balanced, well-maintained look to it. Right now I'm feeling pretty damn bottom-heavy as my thighs get heavier and more muscular. I didn't have that when I was walking - not much muscle build-up, and lots of fat loss. Sigh! I miss that!

I think I just need to pick a day when I don't have anything scheduled right at 9:00 am and just walk. I've been fantasizing about it long enough. I want to see how long it takes me to walk 6 km to work going through the river valley. I want to see if my feet and my hips can handle that much walking now that I'm older, I've given birth, and I haven't invested in really good walking shoes lately. I think that will be a very nice change of pace, and a very welcome change of scenery.

Maybe I'm just getting sick of bike-commuting. Could it be???

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.