Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Week 35 - Day Two: Wind and Rain

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 26 min.
TIME BACK: 26 min.
WEATHER: A few clouds, 5C, 28 km/hr wind there; overcast, light rain, 9C, 33 km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, turtleneck, sweatshirt, running gloves (gloves in panniers on the way home)
NOTES:

Riding in the driving rain, head bent to protect my face while rivulets of water trickle off the front peak of my helmet, I winced at every gust of wind that threatened to knock me over or stop me in my tracks. This would be romantic if I was some employee of the fabled Pony Express, whipping my steed across the wide prairie to get a last-minute stay of execution to the prison. Since I was just trying to get my lazy ass home after a day at work, romantic it was not. It was just annoying.

I hate the wind. I hate the wind almost as much as I hate battling hills. It really doesn't make the ride pleasant, and it seems like I've been seeing a hell of a lot of windy days over the past couple weeks. The damn wind keeps knocking over a 6-ft section of my fence, leaving my backyard exposed to anyone who might fancy the barbecue off my back porch. Every time I right it, it keeps getting knocked down because of this damn incessant wind. Come ON, weather!! Calm down already!

At least I don't mind the rain. In fact, I kind of like it. It's cooling and refreshing, very much a change of pace from the near-drought conditions we've been having around here. It's a welcome shift away from the dry dust bowl that this city was becoming. And the smell of rain, the sound of cars splashing through puddles, the way the streets seem to empty of their people: who can argue with that? It's beautiful.

Here's hoping I get caught in the rain again tomorrow!! As long as that damn wind dies down . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.