Thursday, April 29, 2010

Week 35 - Day Four: F** That!!

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 22 min. (fo' real????)
TIME BACK: 28 min. (damn wind)
WEATHER: overcast, 2C (-4C with windchill), 28 km/hr tail/cross-winds there; overcast, 8C, 39 km/hr hour head/cross-winds gusting to 50 km/hr back
WHAT I WORE: warm-up pants, turtleneck, waterproof shell, running gloves
NOTES:

All day, I've been sitting at work contemplating the headwinds I'll be facing on the way home. I've checked The Weather Network website obsessively and cringed as the wind increased from 28 km/hr to 39 km/hr gusting up to 50-60 km/hr. I am tired of this damn wind, and I have no intention of battling it the whole way home. I've seen more wind over the last couple weeks than I saw all winter, and my thighs are aching in protest.

So f** this business! I'm taking a damn cab home today. I have no idea how I'll get my bike home, or how I'll get to work tomorrow. Maybe I'll drive tomorrow and shove the bike in the trunk on the way home? Who knows. I just know that I'm tired, my eyes are bloodshot from riding into the wind (I'm serious, I actually get bloodshot eyes from this crap!), and when I woke up this morning my running shoes were still damp from my ride home in the rain yesterday. I'm taking a damn break!! I'm sure my thighs will thank me in the morning.

Oh, come on, Johnson. Are you really going to wimp out because of the wind after biking through -25C weather in the winter? Are you really going to let a stiff breeze stop you? It's just a half-hour ride home, you can manage that! And the wind won't even be blasting you in the face the whole time because of the twisty turns the route takes. Besides, do you really want to be stuck driving tomorrow, even if the weather is nice? And are you actually willing to leave your bike on campus overnight, and possibly over the weekend? Just deal with it! You got here in one piece, it won't be that bad just to get home!

DAMN YOU, BRAIN, AND YOUR STUPID EXCUSES!! Ignoring the plans I was making all day to take a cab home, I just bit the bullet and got on the bike and rode home. Yes, it was mostly into the wind, and yes, that wasn't pleasant. But I got home, didn't I? And I feel good that I didn't wimp out. But man, am I tired . . . I'm definitely hoping to wake up to snow on the ground tomorrow, as the Weather Network is saying is possible. That way I'll have the perfect excuse to drive my lazy ass to work!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more with your last few posts cursing the wind. I regularly have to battle our prevailing winds from the North on the way to work, and it is very frustrating. Too many times I've pulled onto the sidewalk because a headwind is making me struggle and go so slow I don't even feel comfortable on road with traffic.

    Nothing like a wicked crosswind threatening to blow me off the high level though.

    Ditto about the wet shoes too! I got soaked coming home Wednesday (though I love the rain) and my socks tights shoes and gloves were still a little damp, which made for one freezing ass Thursday morning commute.

    Oh well, such is the life of the determined cyclist.

    The weather today is gorgeous though, so I'm sure you're glad you didn't end up having to drive :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.