Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week Ten - Day Three

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 25 min.
TIME BACK: 25 min.
WEATHER: clear, -5C, 6km/hr wind there; clear, 6C, 15km/hr wind back
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, turtleneck, waterproof shell, double gloves, scarf
NOTES:
"That's it, I'm taking a look at this bugger!" I thought to myself. With great determination, I grabbed a flashlight and stalked into the bathroom, pressed my tongue down with the handle of my toothbrush, and said, "ahhhhh!" I shone the flashlight into the back of my throat to see what on earth could possibly be causing this much discomfort.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't looked. What I found was a stalactite-looking growth coming off my right tonsil. "BAH! What the hell is that?" I asked aloud with a fear-stricken look clouding my face. The more I looked around in there, the less I could figure out exactly what I was seeing. What is that hideous growth, and what does it mean? Are my tonsils swollen? Are those white spots in there, indicating an infection, or is that just the reflection of the flashlight on my wet innards? Damn you, curiosity, why couldn't you just be happy not knowing??

I consulted my two favourite and most trusted sources of knowledge on the subject - the internet, and my Mom. The internet suggested I may have tonsillitis, or strep throat, or lymphoma. My Mom suggested I go to the doctor as soon as I can to figure out what's actually wrong, instead of looking at disgusting pictures of infected tonsils online and convincing myself I have cancer. Mom: 1; Internet: 0.

What I do know is that today is the first time it's felt any better in a week or more. What likely caused this turn of events is that starting last night I self-administered over-the-counter ear drops, Polysporin Ear & Eye Drops that I previously used on my daughter's eyes, in case I have an ear infection. I gave myself two drops in each ear last night, and another two in each ear this morning. I'm supposed to do this four times a day for 7-10 days, so I brought the drops with me to work to continue my regiment. So far, it seems to be helping! My throat hurts less, I'm coughing less, and I even managed to sleep last night without waking in the middle of the night and having to pop more "night time cold and flu" pills to calm my sore throat and get me back to sleep. My throat still hurts, and I am still coughing occasionally, but not as much as yesterday, and that's a very positive start.

Mom: 0; Internet: 0; Polysporin Eye and Ear Drops: WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.