Thursday, November 5, 2009

Week Ten - Day Four

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 24 min.
TIME BACK: 26 min.
WEATHER: clear, 1C, 6km/hr wind there; a few clouds, 17C, 20km/hr wind back
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, turtleneck, waterproof shell, double gloves, scarf (had to take the gloves off partway home because I was so warm!)
NOTES:
Appreciation
1. I appreciate that after implementing Daylight Savings Time over the weekend, it is now light out both when I bike to work in the morning and when I bike home in the afternoon.
2. I appreciate that it's so warm this late into fall. This afternoon I didn't need my gloves or my scarf, and would have even done better with a sweater than with my sweat-inducing waterproof shell. With this warm fall weather, I almost feel like I'm not even in Edmonton!
3. I appreciate that whatever snow has fallen so far has not stayed. I know that before long, there will be a light dusting of snow that arrives and never leaves - it will just be built upon and built upon and will not melt away until well into April, or even May. Until that snowy day that signals the beginning of six months of snow cover, I deeply appreciate the clear roads.
4. I appreciate that as I bike along the northern bank of the river valley and look south, the golf course laid out below at the bottom of the valley is still a well-manicured green blanket. It's so nice to still see something - anything - that's green at this time of year.
5. I appreciate that my supervisor mentioned in passing today that I'm "shrinking". I know he is quite conscious of maintaining some semblance of professional boundaries, so I appreciate that he noticed my weight loss and found a way to comment on it in a way that wasn't awkward.
6. I appreciate the people I work with and the incredible clients I have who privilege me by allowing me to share in their struggles. In this line of work, I have found my naturally ample love of humanity has grown even more profound. It makes me look forward to work every day, and I especially appreciate that because the sad truth is that not everybody can say that.
7. I appreciate that I look forward to coming home at the end of the day and spending some time with my daughter. She fills my whole being with a love I can neither express nor even comprehend. Being a single parent is not easy, and it's not always rewarding, but ultimately she makes it completely and utterly worth it.
8. I appreciate that I've been managing to lose weight without dieting. I deny myself nothing, and that is wonderful.
9. I appreciate that after I put my daughter to sleep today, I looked out the window for a moment and caught a glimpse of a bright white star in the night sky. Just one, but it was beautiful.
10. I appreciate my health. I'm feeling better - still not 100%, but about as well as I've felt in a long time, and it's amazing the difference it makes. I feel awake. I feel energetic. I break out into dance randomly at work. I feel like I'm me again, and for that I am truly appreciative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.