Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Week Eight - Day Two

TIME THERE: 25 min.
TIME BACK: ???
WEATHER: overcast, -2C, 4 km/hr wind there; clear, 9C, no wind on the way back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, waterproof shell, scarf, running gloves (scarf in backpack on the way home)
NOTES:
I am officially impressed with myself for making it to work in 25 minutes on Eastwood. It rained last night, so when I woke up this morning the streets had thin layers of ice and frost on them that screamed "no road slicks allowed". Also, it was dark and foggy when I left the house, and last week after the falling incidents I transferred my lights from Mike to Eastwood with the assumption that Mike was out for the season. Of course, Mike was no such thing! Nevertheless, with the lights and the knobby tires Eastwood was a better choice all around for today. Except, of course, for how much harder I have to work with that bike! There is no cruising with that bad boy - the moment I stop pedaling is the moment I very quickly start losing speed. It didn't help that the front brake rubbed a bit against the front tire, causing even more drag than necessary. I'll have to see about fixing that later.

On the way home I stopped off at Mountain Equipment Co-op to pick up some accessories for Eastwood - a bike rack, a rear fender, some lights for Mike now that Eastwood has the old ones, and a couple things for me like heavy-duty gloves and skiing goggles. The bike rack doesn't fit on the bike because the rear wheel is set too far back from the seat post so I'll have to return it. I may also have to return the goggles, as my helmet seems to push them down too far so that the part that's supposed to rest on the bridge of my nose ends up over my nostrils and I can't breathe. And breathing is helpful when you're biking.

I can't tell what my time was coming home, because: (a) I stopped at MEC on the way; and, (b) my cell phone died before I left work, so I can't be sure what time I mounted up or what time I got home. Not helpful. But I know I made it to work in good time, even riding Eastwood. I'm hoping that means I worked hard today, because I was so hungry when I got home I ended up eating more than usual. At least if I worked hard, I can feel better about eating a whole protein bar AFTER having my usual dinner! Ah, well, I could certainly do worse . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.