Monday, October 19, 2009

Week Eight - Day One

TIME THERE: 24 min. (woot!)
TIME BACK: 26 min.
WEATHER: overcast, 3C, 9km/hr wind there; overcast, 9C, 7 km/hr wind back
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, waterproof shell, scarf, running gloves (scarf in panniers on the way home)
NOTES:
Maybe it was being well-rested (I slept beautifully last night), or maybe it was having had to work harder to ride Eastwood to school last Friday. Maybe it was being back on tall, lean, elegant Mike today, now that the pavement is clear of ice and snow. Whatever it was, something made me fly when I was biking this morning! Even despite the fact that about halfway to school my rear fender came loose and rubbed against the back tire the rest of the way there I made great time, and the whole way I felt like I was cruising along at a great speed without all that much effort. What a ride!

On the way home I felt like I had to work a little bit harder than I did on the way there, but I still felt like I was making good time. It felt so good to feel confident again, and to be able to ride without constant consideration of whether my centre of gravity was directly in line with that of the bike. It felt good to be on a bike that is light and built for speed, and on which all the adjustments have already been made so it fits my body just right. I love it - Mike fits me like a glove!

I am tired tonight, though, boy howdy! I don't think I ate enough for lunch, which made me a bit sluggish on the way home. I try not to eat too much for dinner - I'd rather have my heavier meal at midday - so I kept it somewhat light for dinner, too. I hope that doesn't translate into a harder ride tomorrow. I'm trying to balance eating a bit less for weight loss with meeting my dietary needs given the great increase in my activity level due to bike-commuting. Some days I feel like I hit the balance perfectly, and then other days - like today - I realize I don't have it all figured out yet. Perhaps I never will. Oh well! Pasta for lunch for me tomorrow, I think - I suspect need more carbs during the day.

By the way, my thighs are getting a whole lot more solid, even the upper thighs where they meet my hips are becoming more svelte. I think this whole biking thing is working out very well for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.