Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Week 40 - Day Two: New Project

BIKE: Eastwood
TIME THERE: 24 min.
TIME BACK: 26 min.
WEATHER: clear, 6C, no wind there; overcast, 15C, 19 km/hr cross/tailwinds home.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt
NOTES:

I have a lot to learn about bicycle mechanics. Not that I want to - in fact, I'm really not a fan of getting my hands greasy and spending my rare, precious free time trying to figure out how to attach trailers to bikes or change a tire or fix broken spokes. If I had more free time, I think I would quite enjoy this as a hobby - working with my hands, figuring things out, being practical and productive in a way that as an academic I just about never am. However, when my workspace is a cramped uninsulated front porch and my free time consists of about one hour per day right before bed, working on my bike isn't really something I crave.

However, I need to do something about Mike. He has a broken spoke and has therefore been out of commission. I have no time to take him to the bike shop to get repaired, and it occurred to me today that I might as well try to fix the damn spoke myself. I've already managed to wrestle the bent and broken piece of metal out of the spoke nipple (that's right, that's what it's called). All I need to do it put on a new one! It can't be THAT hard, right?? So, that's my new project: replacing poor Mike's broken spoke.

The only problem is finding the time to get out to MEC to buy new spokes. Perhaps I'll be able to get to that this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!! Wish me luck . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.