Thursday, May 20, 2010

Week 38 - Day Four: A Long Day

BIKE: Eastwood
TIME THERE: 24 min.
TIME BACK: 25 min.
WEATHER: light rain, 12C, 7 km/hr headwinds there; overcast, 14C, 19 km/hr crosswinds back.
WHAT I WORE: yoga pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt
NOTES:

With Mike the Bike out of commission with a broken spoke (and missing teeth in the cassette, and in desperate need of a new chain), I determined last night that I would ride Eastwood to work this morning. Even when I was up until almost 2:00 am last night, I promised myself I would still bike today. When the alarm went off at 6:30 am and I couldn't will myself to open my sandpaper eyes, the only part of my brain that seemed to be working was the one that comes up with excuses not to bike. And yet, I did it. I just mindlessly got everything together, got my daughter ready, and headed out the door. Into the rain. Where the chain promptly fell off the chainring and I had to fix it with my daughter crying beside me and my hands getting all greasy before work. I sighed. It was only 7:30 am, and it's already feeling like a loooooong day.

I had a bit a slower day, which I'm grateful for because I really didn't have the mental capacity to handle a heavy client load. Still, not being busy made the day drag even longer. When it came to quitting time, my mind started racing, looking for someone to mooch a ride from. After all, it was forecast to thunderstorm during my ride, and sure, it wasn't storming right then, but what if I got caught in it half-way home? What THEN??

Nobody came to my rescue, so I reluctantly mounted up and rode home. This old $50 used mountain bike is an infinitely more comfortable ride than Mike, but the shifters are these terrible twist mechanisms that are imprecise and kind of useless, so I spent most of the ride both there and back today trying to ride the shifters and find some gear that might work for me while I clumsily rode clickity-clankity along with the chain not fully settling into gear. GAH! I definitely am not used to this bike.

Tomorrow I'm driving to work because I'm leaving early and heading off to the airport to visit family over the long weekend. That means I'm spending this evening doing laundry and packing and getting everything organized for tomorrow - which is actually quite a feat, considering I'll be travelling as a sole adult with a toddler. I just want to have a hot shower and drop into bed right now - I'm so dead tired - but it seems that's not in the cards. I have a trip to get ready for. SIGH!

It's only 7:30 pm. What a loooooong day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.