Monday, March 8, 2010

Week Twenty-Eight - Day One: Sick Half-Day

At 2:00 am this morning, I woke up from my much-needed slumber with a pain in my stomach. "Good Lord," I thought to myself, "I'm 27 years old and I still have days that I overeat so much I want to throw up? Sure, it's kind of expected when my TODDLER does it - but me?" I tossed and turned, hoping the sickly feeling would go away, but it wouldn't. I eventually made my way to the bathroom. still rubbing the sleep from my eyes, just in time to bend over the toilet and vomit up what seemed like everything I'd eaten that day. I wretched and wretched until I could wretch no more. A cold sweat suddenly enveloped me and I started shaking. Huh. This doesn't feel like the my-tummy-hurts-because-I-overate kind of feeling.

I washed up and made my way back to bed, praying for sleep to come soon. Sadly, it did not. Over the course of the next several hours, I alternated between tossing and turning in bed with a sour stomach and running to the bathroom to throw up. I think I threw up maybe four times by 6:00 am, and since I'd emptied myself of anything meaningful with the first one, the next three times were mostly bile and dry heaves, typically accompanied by the sweats and the shakes.

When my daughter woke up ay 6:00 am, I got her out of bed and got her ready for the day, feeling like death the whole time. My joints ached. My head hurt. And worst of all, even after all that throwing up, I still felt nauseous. This would NOT be a biking day! I managed to get myself and my daughter out the door, dropped her off at daycare, and proceeded directly to the pharmacy for some Gravol and ginger ale. I got home, called in sick at work, took some medicine, and went straight back to bed. I didn't wake up until noon.

I still went to work in the afternoon, not because I was feeling so much better after my nap, but only because I need my hours. I managed to make it through the afternoon, but just barely. Now, back at home and after taking care of my daughter and putting her to bed, I'm dreading the thought of returning to work tomorrow. Today I managed to barely get through because I didn't have any clients in the afternoon - but tomorrow, I've got four clients back to back! How the Hell am I going to hold up if I'm feeling like this again??

Well, at least I won't be biking to work tomorrow. That's at least one thing I know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.