Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Week Twenty-Five - Day One: Junk in the Trunk

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 28 min.
TIME BACK: ?? (forgot to check time before leaving - I do know it was definitely less than 30 min. though, given the time I left work)
WEATHER: clear, -10C, no wind there; clear, 0C, 9km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: fleece pants, t-shirt, fleece jacket, double gloves (cotton mini-gloves under running gloves), balaclava
NOTES:

I was packing some serious junk in my trunk today. This is what I packed into my panniers this morning:
- breakfast: a small container of dry oatmeal
- lunch: a medium container of chili, an apple, small bag of carrots, All-Bran Snack Bites, string cheese, small can of diet pop
- 500mL milk (for coffee and oatmeal for the rest of the week)
- makeup bag
- business-casual grey pants and purple button-up blouse to change into at work
- wallet
- glasses
- pack of gum
- cell phone
- lip balm

I had the pleasure of going to the movie store over the weekend without my daughter, just being able to hop on the bike and go without panniers or a bike trailer or a screaming toddler riding behind me. I was amazed at how much lighter the bike was without panniers. I'd completely forgotten what it was like to ride without them, and it was amazing how much of a difference that loss of junk-in-the-trunk weight made in how easy and fast riding became. Who knew it would make such a difference??

I stopped by the university's student-run sustainability office today at lunch, as a helpful HealthyBiker blog reader told me about the drop-in bike mechanic hours held there. I took Mike in and watched him get a really good cleaning, one I've never been able to give him so far because I've lacked the proper equipment (mostly, a brush that looks vaguely like a hoof pick). I learned how to clean him up properly and take care of his chain and the importance of a good lube that's properly suited to the weather (apparently, the lube I've been using this whole time is not a great one for winter because it tends to freeze in cold weather!). I also asked how to change his brake pads, as those will need replacing pretty quickly, and got some great advice from the mechanic on site. It was really educational, and what a delight to know that this resource is on campus - even in my building! - and that I can stop in whenever I need to for advice or help or whatever I might need to keep Mike healthy and happy.

I'm learning - slowly. It's nice to have a hobby, something aside from work and parenting towards which to direct my attention and effort and capacity for learning. The sad truth is, I haven't really had one in a very long time, probably not since starting university. So it's nice. I don't even mind the greasy fingernails that inherently come with it. :)

And, of course, the added bonus: I'm losing my junk in the trunk. This time, I'm not referring to my panniers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.