Friday, December 11, 2009

Week Fifteen - Day Five: Driving . . . Again

I drove to work today. Not because it's too cold out (though it is damn cold today), and not because fresh snow has fallen (which it did, overnight), but because today is the day my itty bitty kitty is getting neutered. Lucky dude! Why might this effect my mode of transportation, you ask? Because I had to drop my daughter off at her west-end daycare at 7:30 am (it doesn't open any earlier), get my kitty to the downtown Spay Clinic by 8:00 am for drop-off and registration, then haul ass to the south-side university to start work at 8:30 am.

I was on campus by 8:30 am, to be sure, but freakin' parking . . . I had to wait in a 20-minute lineup of cars - on a Friday - during exam period - when campus should be virtually empty - to pay the exorbitant parking fees to get into the parkade. Then I had to drive my way all the way up to the top level to find a spot, which meant having to run down four frozen flights of stairs and then hustle over to my building and sneak in just a couple minutes before I was scheduled to see a client at 9:00 am. I was frazzled, hungry (because of course I hadn't eaten yet, usually using my half-hour administrative time first-thing in the morning for that while I check my e-mails), and pissed off by the time I got into work.

At the end of the day, I have to pick up my daughter from the west end sometime before 5:00 pm and then make my way - through rush-hour traffic - back downtown to pick up the cat between 5-6:00 pm, then go back to our home in the west-end. BAH! What an annoying, frustrating, run-around kind of day!

As much as time constraints and my cargo (i.e., a small fuzzy kitty) required me to drive today, I think I would have been a much happier camper if I could have just ridden my bike. I doubt I would have been such an angry, bitter counsellor for the first hour of the day if I'd biked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.