Monday, October 25, 2010

First Snow Day

WEATHER THERE: light snow, -1C (-6C with windchill), 18 km/hr tail/crosswinds
WEATHER BACK: cloudy, 0C (-5C with windchill), 18 km/hr head/crosswinds


The pool at Melia Puerto Vallarta - the all-inclusive resort I was staying at October 15-22

I spent October 15-22 in Mexico, where it was 33C every day, no wind, with bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky. I basked in the heat and sun like the wild iguanas I found sunning themselves on secluded rocks on the resort grounds. I came back to Edmonton late Friday night, wishing I didn't have to leave beautiful Mexico so soon. But of course, as all good things do, my little vacation had to come to an end. I returned home and spent the weekend getting my life back in order and getting ready to return to work. That included spending part of Sunday getting my bike ready for a week of bike-commuting after being in storage for several days. I was kind of getting excited to get back on the bike - it had been a while, and I missed it. Besides, I had been riding Mike the Bike for the few days leading up to the vacation and I was looking forward to getting back on my fancy new mountain bike.

That excitement didn't last too long, mind you, because this morning I woke up to this:


Snow. Snow on the ground. Snow falling in wet icy flakes from the sky. Just . . . snow. Now, granted, I kind of like the snow and I do actually like winter riding, so this really isn't such a bad thing. Still - it's a far cry from reading a Stieg Larsen thriller on the beaches of Mexico in 33C heat. Also, I don't have my studded tires on so I was a bit weary that I might have a very cold, wet crash at some point today. Luckily, I didn't.

The most remarkable thing about today was that I expected the first snowfall of the year would force the belle-weather cyclists to put their bikes in storage and take the bus to work - but that wasn't the case at all! In fact, I ran across no less than 10 other cyclists on my way to work today, which is actually even more than I usually do! It was incredible! Perhaps I'm not the only one who enjoys a nice winter ride.

Still . . . I miss Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.