Thursday, September 16, 2010

26" Studded Tires


DAAAAMN!!
Check out that bad-ass with the Ice Spikers on her shoulder!!


Are you as impressed as I am?


Admiring my new purchase

Consider yourself warned, winter: not only do I have a mountain bike this year, I've got these deadly studded tires, too!

I just picked up a pair of 26" x 2.10 Schwalbe Ice Spikers, with 304 tungsten-carbide spikes and a seriously aggressive tread. These suckers will get me to work on days when even my car won't be able to handle the snow. At 1.065 kg each, they're definitely not for use in fair weather conditions because the rolling resistance and weight of these bad boys will be quite a hindrance on bare pavement or light snow. Those milder winter days are what my existing 700 cc Schwalbe Snow Studs are for. I'm feeling prepared for anything now!

Okay, so these tires are expensive and really hardcore - some say they're not necessary for your everyday winter commuter. In response to that I say: I still fell seven times last winter!! And there were days I didn't even bother biking because the ice and snow were so bad. If these tires will help me out in dangerous situations, give me more confidence on the road, and maybe even save my ass from a serious accident - well, then, I'd say they're well worth their price and more.

I'm looking forward to trying them out! Not too soon, mind you . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.