Monday, January 11, 2010

Week Twenty - Day One: ALIVE!!!!

BIKE: Mike
TIME THERE: 33 min.
TIME BACK: 32 min.
WEATHER: a few clouds, 3C, 7km/hr wind there; clear, 4C, 6km/hr wind back.
WHAT I WORE: fleece pants, cotton t-shirt, fleece mid-layer top, balaclava (face part folded up so it's just like wearing a cap), running gloves (balaclava in panniers on the way home)
NOTES:
It is beautiful out!! It is so warm out today and that makes it feel sooo gooood to be outside on my bike.

"I'M ALIVE!!!" shouts my inner voice as I pedal madly along my route. It is amazing how much stronger, fitter, and faster I feel - just because of the temperature. I didn't think it would make such a difference! After all, wouldn't the terrain make more of a difference than the air temperature in how fast I can go and how easy it is to ride? Well, if that were the case, I would be less impressed than ever today: the previously hard-packed snow has become soft and mushy, constantly shifting under my tires and threatening to throw me off my bike at every turn. The ride is messy, unstable, and the snow is harder to handle because I have to plow through it rather than ride over it.

And yet, despite all that, I am ecstatic to be out riding today! The warm air on my face, the freedom with which I can pedal now that my muscles aren't frozen, the pleasure of riding with so few layers of restrictive clothing between me and the fresh air. God it feels good! Today, I am very happy to be a bike commuter, I don't even care how messy all this melting snow is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.