Sunday, January 3, 2010

MONTHLY CHECK-IN

WEIGHT LOSS THIS MONTH: 1 freakin' measly pound!
WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE: 24.5
DAYS COMMUTED: 9
POTENTIAL COMMUTING DAYS MISSED: 10
BREAKDOWN OF EXCUSES USED BY COMMUTE DAYS MISSED:
Bad Road Conditions: 3 Days
"Gift to Myself" the Week Before the Holidays: 3 Days
Cold weather: 2 Days
Got my Cat Neutered: 1 Day
Brought my Toddler Daughter to Work with Me: 1 Day

Ahh, December . . . I drove more days than I commuted, and for the last two weeks of the month (if not three!) I ate like a recovering addict who just fell off the wagon again. Of course, all this was pretty well expected. And quite honestly, I'm just grateful I didn't put on weight and still managed to lose something this month, even if it was just one pound. I had one good week of commuting and eating, and the rest of the month was basically a write-off, between eating poorly (chocolates and donuts at work, going out for dinners and Christmas parties, etc.) and neglecting to bike-commute for over half the month. I'm just glad this slackerly behaviour didn't cause too much damage at the end of the month to erase the hard work that brought me this far. So . . . yay for me??

Now, may the depression being. You see, December can be a pretty wintry month, but all is forgiven because I have the holidays to look forward to at the end. Cold weather? That's okay, I get a week off at the end of the month! Massive dumpings of snow? Great! We'll have a white Christmas! And the whole month is infused with people's good cheer because everyone feels the same way - it's not really winter, it's just Christmas-time!

And now it's January. There is nothing - nothing - to look forward to except the sweet mercy of spring, which won't even begin until April or May. By that point, people will venture out in shorts and t-shirts when it's 10C outside because they are so grateful to be able to feel the sun on their skin again after months of impenetrable darkness and cold. And in the meantime, there is nothing but vast expanses of long blistery months without sun, without heat, without leaving the house unless you have to. The next three months will be hell.

The good news is that if I can keep bike-commuting, and really keep it up unlike I did in December, I'm sure to lose a decent amount of weight because it's so cold and the snow makes the routes so much harder. That thought keeps me feeling positive. And maybe my motivation to bike will be higher because it'll be the only fresh air I'm really going to get. So maybe it'll work out for the best . . . maybe it won't be so depressing after all . . . but it probably will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.