Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Bike Commute That Never Was

Sticking with my executive decision from yesterday, seeing snow on the ground this morning I opted to keep my bike at home and drive to work today. I dropped off my daughter at daycare and made it to work in good time. Luckily, the roads weren't quite as slick as they were yesterday so I didn't run arcoss any accidents along the way. I parked on campus and walked towards my building, and as I did I felt the harsh sting of jealousy as a cyclist passed me on his knobby-wheeled mountain bike. I should be on that bike! A few steps later, I saw another cyclist go by, and then a third. Come on people, why are you rubbing it in??

The jealousy I felt for those cyclists and the resentment I felt about having to drive today all took me completely by surprise. I mean, I know that the bike commute has grown on me since the beginning days of great struggle way back in the heady times of early September, but I didn't realize just how much it had become such a highlight of my day. I missed my bike dearly, and I missed my ride, too. "That's it," I decried, "I'm getting a knock-around winter bike with fat knobby wheels - no more waiting for my studded tires to come in!"

So I did. I found a used mountain bike for sale for $50 on a free classifieds website, and after work I went to check it out. The tires were flat, the thing was covered in dust, and I could see the beginnigs of rust developing on the gear cassette, but the wheels turned fine and the seat felt cushy and I figured $50 was a pretty great deal for a bike with freakin' suspensions! So I took it.

I spent an hour after picking up my daughter working on the bike - filling the tires, checking the brakes, trying to put the fenders and bike rack from Mike the Bike onto the new guy. I learned after getting remarkably filthy and spending way too much time on it that neither accessory would fit the new bike, as it's longer, lower to the ground, and thicker than Mike (who's one tall and lean machine). I began trying to put the accessories back on Mike, but by this time my daughter (who had spent this whole time getting bike-greasy herself and playing with her trailer) was ready for dinner and was not interested in waiting any longer. So fixing Mike will have to wait for another day.

After I put my daughter to bed, I snuck out of the house and rode the new bike up and down my block a few times just to give it a try, since I bought it without evening having gotten on it. I couldn't believe how smooth and soft the ride felt compared to the hard ride I get off Mike. The new bike must be about twice the weight of Mike, and it's loaded with thick, knobby tires that will provide great traction even on light snow (huzzah!) but has the downside of adding a lot of rolling resistance to the ride. Even then, I didn't feel I had to work harder to get it going. I only went as far as the end of my block, though - perhaps when I take it to the streets and ride to school with it tomorrow I will.

I feel as giddy as a school girl about taking this bike out tomorrow! Sure, it's naked, so I'll have to wear a backpack instead of using panniers, and I'll make sure to bring my waterproof shell so I don't get wet up the back from the puddles of melted snow on the road. But it's a new bike! And it's so different from Mike! And I get to BIKE to school again!! Yaaaaay! Only one more sleep until my next ride! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.