Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Week Two - Day One

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Of course, my bike was not ready for me to pick up from the shop by this morning, so I had to drive to work. Well, I didn't have to drive, I could have taken the bus like a more conscientious commuter. But I didn't take the bus because it would have taken 45 min. plus however much walking-to-and-from-the-bus-stops time, and with the way it's scheduled, I wouldn't have been able to drop my daughter off at daycare at 7:30 then get to school on time for 8:30. So - driving it is.

I figured I'd be saving a lot of time by driving. I was surprised that, in fact, it took longer than biking! It probably wouldn't have except for the fact that: I had to drive around for about 10 min. to find parking, and where I ended up parking was a 20 min. walk to the building I work in. I ended up getting to school at 8:25 when I usually show up at 8:10 or 8:15. However, when I'm biking I do need that extra 10 min. or so before work starts to change into my work clothes, de-sweat, put some gel in my hair to tame it's craziness, and generally fix myself up a bit. When it comes right down to it, if you factor the pre-work fixing myself up into the bike-commuting time, it's about the same as driving. But at least when I bike I feel good about myself, and the brisk workout and cold morning air wakes me up better than a strong cup of coffee (which I also have, for good measure).

I tried to compensate for the lack of biking with the extra walking (20 min. from the car to the building and back) plus a 30-min. lunch-time walk with a friend of mine. So I ended up with over an hour of walking in my day, which is definitely better than nothing! Still, it doesn't compare at all to the workout I get from biking. And the wind against my face! And the views I encounter along the way! Man, it's been four days of non-biking (a long weekend plus one day of bike-in-the-shop) and I'm really missing it.

I picked up Mike the Bike from the bike shop after work today, and he's lookin' good! Tires are full, the steering column is tightened, and the gears are fixed so they don't jump. Poifect! I can't wait to get back on him tomorrow. Honestly, I really am surprised how much I missed biking. I was so glad to see my bike today that I had to suppress the urge to hug him when I picked him up from the shop. Maybe I'm just starving for human affection, but I really did miss that bike!

On another note: if you are thinking of having children, and also value your sleep, I implore you to reconsider the having children thing. I just had a long weekend from hell, which made for a first day back to work from hell. My daughter is teething and going through a growth spurt, which means lots of crying, tantrums, and NO sleep. Three straight nights, including last night (a work night - come on!!), of going to bed between midnight and 1 am, then waking up between 5 - 6 am. NOT cool. Then, in an exhausted state, all weekend long I had to deal with a cranky, demanding toddler who would only nap long enough for me to do the laundry and other household necessities, but not long enough for me to sneak in a nap myself. I'm not usually a bitch, but I sure was this freakin' weekend. BABIES!! Honestly, now, I love my daughter to pieces, and I also wonder if all parents - especially those who have more than one, once they know better - are completely and utterly nuts.

Maybe a nice hot bath and a sweet chicory drink will calm my tired nerves. Mmmm, here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your feedback and commentary! However, I do ask that you keep it respectful. Inappropriate comments will be deleted at The Healthy Biker's discretion.